Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I'm back! Can you even believe it?

So evidently I'm a bad blogger. And really, I'm sorry about that. Kind of. I mean, I was having way too much fun at home to even think about blogging. But now that I'm back at school, I have a little more motivation. (Because I blog when I'm avoiding class work, lol.) (Just kidding, I've done all of my homework for today, I promise!)
The first couple of days back have been fun. It's been nice to see everyone again, and come back to my own bed, and get back into a routine. My class this block is called "Nature, Region and Society of the Southwest". It's taught by a guy named Eric Perramond, who did his grad work at UT and is pretty cool, except that he's a little obsessive about sending emails. (I've gotten 6 from him just today.) He's super smart and funny, though, and a lot younger than most of my professors. (He's probably in his mid-to-late 30s, I would guess.) He and his wife both work at CC.

Here's the course description:

"This course presents the social and natural science methodological frameworks and approaches to regional studies, centered on the Greater Southwest. In this upcoming offering for block 5, 2009, we will focus on urban sprawl along the Front Range (a problem widespread in the Southwest) and some other aspects that are focused on specific "problems" in the region. Students will learn a variety of geographic and regional research techniques, including GIS, field methods, air photos, and carry out an independent project as part of the course. May involve fieldwork off-campus. Required for Southwest Studies majors."

Pretty cool, huh? I was somewhat worried about it after being warned by Eric (in an email, lol) about how difficult it would be, but I don't think it will be too bad. A lot of it will be fun stuff, I think. We do have labs twice a week and quite a few days out in the field, as well as a major independent study research project, at least one essay a week, a portfolio, and a group final. (All in 3 and 1/2 weeks! Crazy, right?)

Today in class we met for about 30 minutes and discussed last night's reading before "accidentally getting lost" (my professor's words) in Armstrong Hall to watch CNN in the theater with hundreds of other students. It was pretty cool to watch the inauguration in that type of atmosphere.
Then we met back up and went on a walk through the North End (the old neighborhood just north of campus). Eric described the history of the neighborhood and explained a lot about the architecture and the planning of it, as well. It was a pretty sweet class.

So do you feel like I'm trying to make up for lost time here by writing the longest post in the world? But wait! There's more! (Hehehe) I still have a few layouts to share for two of my CTs.
First is a layout using The Red Porch's Merry Mod Christmas Kit by Stephanie Brannock.


Next are two layouts using Ladybug Pages' Summer Fun, available at My Scrap Shop.


Okay. I'm tired now. I'll really attempt to be better about this blogging thing.

No comments: