Saturday, October 24, 2009

Major happenings over Block Break...

So, second block is over! I had a fabulous time mentoring kids at Harrison Alternative Schools, and I'm hoping to continue if I can get a ride over there a couple of times a week. Robert came to visit for block break (he actually just got in a cab to go back to the airport) and we had so much fun.

Wednesday night we hosted a little get together here at the CC Inn for some people from my class and whoever they wanted to bring. We had a taco bar and talked and watched tv for a while. It was really great. Then most of us drove over to the movie theater where we watched Zombieland. I don't like scary movies, and I thought it was going to be scary, but it wasn't at all. It was hilarious. We were all laughing through the whole movie.

Thursday night Rob and I went out to eat with one of his video game friends who lives in Denver. Chris drove down to meet us. I thought it would be weird since neither of us had ever met the guy and Robert just plays Final Fantasy with him, but it was great- really comfortable and fun. He seems like a really cool guy. We went to Phantom Canyon Brewing Company for dinner, a semi-fancy restaurant downtown with the "best billiards hall in town" on the second floor. The guys ate huge steaks and I had pork chops and then we went upstairs to play some pool and talk. It was a really fun night.

Yesterday, Rob and I met my friend Megan for lunch and we walked to Panino's (yes, Mom and Trudy, Panino's like we went to on vacation, only the one by campus). The food was great and we decided that since the weather outside wasn't too bad, we would go hiking. The three of us and Megan's friend, Bridget, piled into Bridget's roommate's car and we drove up Gold Camp Road. Gold Camp Road kind of winds up a mountain, and has tremendous views. You drive through tunnels built into the mountain and it was really cool. There was a lot of snow up there, too, and I was wishing I had brought my camera. After driving to the top we hiked up a trail to a gorgeous waterfall that had a bridge and overlook at the top. It was so pretty. You could see all of Colorado Springs in the distance. After heading back, we all separated for dinner and then met back up to go to a CC Tigers Hockey game. We beat Michigan Tech 4-1 and it was pretty loud and crazy the whole game. I was glad that Robert got to go see it. When we got back to campus, Rob and I hung out with Megan in Mathias (the upperclass dorm where she is an RA) and played pool. Then we walked back to the Inn.

Robert and I were just sitting around talking, I was whining about him having to leave so soon, and asking why he couldn't stay longer, when he pops out a ring and says, "Look, crybaby, will you marry me?" Evidently he had been planning this whole romantic thing, but since I wouldn't shut up and stop complaining, he just went for it. It was the most hilarious thing ever. No, we won't have some sweet story to tell our kids, but it was perfect for us. We're not some sappy, romantic couple. We're always joking around and making fun of each other, so why shouldn't his proposal reflect that? It makes me laugh every time I think about it. So, anyways, here's the ring. (You know me, I can't pass up the chance to play around in Photoshop!)

It's actually just a little big, so I'm currently wearing my other ring on top of it, turned around, so it won't slide off. In case you can't tell from the picture, it's white gold, not yellow.
And then here are a couple of things I've made since I last posted. I've actually made way more than this, but most of them still need a little finish work, like embroidering the mouth or cutting out felt for the face. I'm really behind now because I haven't made anything since Robert got here. I'm going to try to catch up today and tomorrow. Two adorable little piggies...
And one sweet turtle.

(Oh, and in case you were wondering, I'm taking "Topics in Film Studies/Southwest Studies: The Western" starting Monday.)

(By the way, happy first birthday, Daniel! I hope everyone had a great time at his party!)

2 comments:

Jean said...

Love the ring! Great job, Robert! Thanks for posting the pics. I also love the animals and hearing how much fun you had on block break. I enjoyed Panino's so much I've wondered if I can make one myself. Maybe some day. Love you, MOM

Anonymous said...

I too love your ring and he definately has good taste as it looks just like mine? Well mine is yellow gold but the style and diamond shape is the same as mine. Congradulations to you Janie, may your lives together be all that you want it to be. Love you sweetie, Aunt Lisa